LTUIS Forum
Salamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,
Welcome to La Trobe University Islamic Society Forum.

If you are not a member, please take the time to register.
Alternatively if you are already a member please sign in below,

Enjoy your stay,

Salamu Alaikum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

LTUIS Forum
Salamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,
Welcome to La Trobe University Islamic Society Forum.

If you are not a member, please take the time to register.
Alternatively if you are already a member please sign in below,

Enjoy your stay,

Salamu Alaikum
LTUIS Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Test Your Heart!

4 posters

Go down

Test Your Heart! Empty Test Your Heart!

Post by Yasmin Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:37 am

Sh. 'Abdullaah Azzam (rahimahullaah rahmatan waasi'a) - Great man! May Allaah unite us with him in jannat al firdaws, ameen.

"...How heavy is the Qur'an upon the immoral fasiq, and how heavy is worship and prayer upon the immoral fasiq hypocrite! The prayer is so heavy upon these hypocrites! You see him sitting and writing in a diary for one, two, or three hours, or standing and talking for one, two, or three hours, and if he stands behind the imam for five minutes, it is as if a mountain has been placed on his chest and heart. The diseases of the hearts, we seek refuge with Allah from them...

Because of this, if you want to test your heart, inspect it and test it out when the Qur'an is being recited - is it heavy upon your heart or not? Test your heart out during worship. Test your heart out when you see the salihin. Test your heart out when you are making your adhkar during the morning hours. Test your heart out when you stand up to pray - do you love to pray? Or is it heavy upon you? If it is heavy upon you, and if worship is heavy upon you, then ask Allah to remove the hardness from your heart and replace it with softness, because this is proof that the jahiliyyah is still entrenched in your heart and soul.

The hardness of the heart...we seek refuge with Allah from the hardness of the hearts. The hardness of the hearts is increased by satisfying the desires - sexual desires, even if by permissible means, and the desire for food, even if by permissible means.

This is why they say that the softness of the heart is achieved in six occasions:
Praying at night
Reciting the Qur'an
Keeping the stomach empty from food
Befriending the salihin
Dhikr
Istighfar during the morning hours
This is why if they felt that their hearts were becoming hard, they would say: "Lead us to those who will lead us to Allah," and the best people are those who, when you see them, remind you of Allah...he whose condition and mannerisms remind you of Allah and whose words cause you to increase in your obedience to Allah, and when you see him you remember Allah.

I used to sometimes lead the people in prayer. So, some youth were behind me, as well as an old man who was over 90 and from the Caucasus, a Chechen. After the prayer was over - I love to recite the Qur'an, firstly because I am in prayer, and by Allah, it is too hard on me to only recite two or three verses - and I know that the people behind me of course do not like too much recitation of the Qur'an. Anyway, after I would finish, the youth would sometimes complain to each other, and I would overhear their complaints. However, this man who was over 90 years old would say: "Increase as much as you can from the Qur'an," and he was over 90!

So, the issue is one of the soul. Once, one of al-Banna's students prayed behind me in Ramadan. So, I used to recite one juz' every night. After the prayer, he would ask: "How much did you recite?" I would reply: "A juz'." He said: "Ya Salam! It went by as if it were a minute," and in the prayer, you are not allowed to sit down. Regardless, this man was deriving enjoyment from the Qur'an! If he had spent the entire night like this, he would not become bored or exhausted. On the other hand you have a man who - subhan Allah - his heart is hard, so the Qur'an affects his heart by making him more exhausted, and it therefore is not softened by the Qur'an, and no matter how much Qur'an you recite to such a person, he will find it very heavy and hard upon him.

Because of this, from the blessings of Allah upon a person is that He makes faith beloved to him and beautifies it in his heart:

{"And know that, among you there is the Messenger of Allah. If he were to obey you in much of the matter, you would surely be in trouble. But, Allah has endeared faith to you and has beautified it in your hearts, and has made disbelief, wickedness and disobedience hateful to you. These! They are the rightly guided ones."} [al-Hujurat; 7]

This is a blessing from Allah...with this, the person derives pleasure from this hardship and this roughness. Why? For Allah. He tastes its sweetness...the torture is sweetness when it is for Allah...exhaustion is beloved to his heart if it is for the Knower of the Unseen...

Someone once told me - a journalist, Jabir Rizq, he wrote a book - there is a book he gave to Muhammad Yusuf Hawwash, who was executed with Sayyid Qutb. This man had an amazing understand of Islam. He stayed in prison for ten years before they executed him. He was imprisoned from 1954 to 1964, and he was executed in 1966. They had released him for health reasons, and then they brought him back.

Jabir Rizq told me that whenever the torture became too much for him, this man would look to the sky and say: "All of this is nothing when it comes to Your love...all of this is nothing when it comes to Your love," meaning that all of this torture is nothing when it is for the love of Allah."

['Fi Dhilal Surat at-Tawbah'; p. 485-487]

http://iskandrani.wordpress.com/2008...st-your-heart/
Yasmin
Yasmin

Number of posts : 812
Registration date : 2008-03-26

http://www.sayingsofthesalaf.net

Back to top Go down

Test Your Heart! Empty Re: Test Your Heart!

Post by Merhna Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:47 am

This was a good read.

JazaakiAllah Khair for sharing this great test with us Yasmin.

Merhna

Number of posts : 360
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Yasmin Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:33 pm

wa iyyaki habib.

May Allah reward the translator and Sh. 'Abdullah azzam.
Yasmin
Yasmin

Back to top Go down

Post by ZaidGuy Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:33 am

Assalamu alaikum

I love this story about the hearts of man.
It's very true that things happen to make people's hearts become hardened and sometimes it's not easy to turn away from this , may Allah make it easy for the people who are going through this trial.
What do you think the cure is for this problem Question
ZaidGuy
ZaidGuy

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ibrahim Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:08 pm

Yasmin wrote:

This is why they say that the softness of the heart is achieved in six occasions:
Praying at night
Reciting the Qur'an
Keeping the stomach empty from food
Befriending the salihin
Dhikr
Istighfar during the morning hours

Allahu Akbar

ibrahim

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2009-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Yasmin Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:35 pm

ZaidGuy wrote:Assalamu alaikum

I love this story about the hearts of man.
It's very true that things happen to make people's hearts become hardened and sometimes it's not easy to turn away from this , may Allah make it easy for the people who are going through this trial.
What do you think the cure is for this problem Question

ameen.

Well, our hearts usually harden when we fall into sin. We constantly need to look at our actions and see whether they conform to the acts of the believer as stated in our religion. A dear friend (hafidhakillaah) once said to me that there are two type of sicknesses. One of the, is the Spiritual sickness and the other one is the Physical sickness.

If we think about, there are times when we feel down and we blame this on stress/depression and whatever else, but do we think about the fact that our heart and soul is calling out to us and letting us know that we need to check up on our imaan regularly, just like we check up on our health regularly. So, insha Allah we need to always ask Allaah to keep us firm on this religion and increase our faith - In the narration of Anas, may Allaah be pleased with him, he said, the Prophet sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam used to repeatedly say, “O Controller of the hearts! Make my heart steadfast upon Your religion” so I said to him, ‘O Prophet of Allaah! We believed in you and in what you came with; do you fear that we may deviate?’ He said, “Yes, all mankind’s hearts are between two of the fingers of Allaah. He changes them as He pleases” (Tirmithi & Ibn Maajah).

Also, check this out: Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him), Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 6/381

So there is no separation between correcting what is inward and correcting what is outward or physical.

The outward acts of worship which a person performs with his physical faculties – if he does them for the sake of Allaah – will undoubtedly have an effect on his inward nature.

For example, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Shall I not tell you of something that will take away the evil of the heart? Fasting three days of each month.” (Narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 2386; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Nasaa’i, 2249). The evil of the heart refers to rancour, hatred and destructive envy.

One of the most important remedies for diseases of the heart is to study and ponder the texts which include warnings to the one who leaves these diseases to fester in his heart, such as the hadeeth in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No one will enter Paradise who has an atom’s-weight of arrogance in his heart.” (Narrated by Muslim, 91).

And the hadeeth according to which Hell will say, “My share is the arrogant.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4850; Muslim, 2846)

And the hadeeth: “On the Day of Resurrection the arrogant will be gathered like ants in the form of men.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2492; classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 2025).

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The disease of the nations who came before you has started to spread among you: destructive envy and hatred. These are the shavers. I do not mean that they shave hair but they shave away religious commitment. By the One in Whose hand is my soul, you will not enter Paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Shall I not tell you of something which if you do it, you will love one another. Spread (the greeting of) salaam amongst yourselves.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2510; classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 2038).

Whoever ponders with true insight such warnings about the diseases of the heart will undoubtedly strive to cleanse his heart thereof, and will seek help in doing so by doing outward physical acts, praying to his Lord to cleanse his heart of hatred, destructive envy, rancour and so on, as Allaah says, describing the prayer of the believers:

“and put not in our hearts any hatred against those who have believed”

[al-Hashr 59 – interpretation of the meaning]
Yasmin
Yasmin

Back to top Go down

Post by ZaidGuy Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:29 am

Thanks for that sister Yasmin.
That all makes alot of sense sometimes it's abit weird, how things affect the heart.
You feel like it's a hard task to turn back to allah and you start blaming depression and stuff like that when it's only a sign telling us to maybe check up on our iman. Then after that i guess it's just up to the the individual to take the next step towards whats right.True?
Anyway May allah bless you...
tc and salam
ZaidGuy
ZaidGuy

Back to top Go down

Post by Yasmin Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:34 pm

'alayk as-Salam wa rahmatullah wa barakaatuh

may Allah bless you too, ameen!

Then after that i guess it's just up to the the individual to take the next step towards whats right.True?

Indeed it is. Allaah ta'aala says in Hadith Qudsi,

"If my servant comes closer to me by one span, I go towards him a cubit’s length; if he comes to me a cubit’s length, I go towards him an arm’s length; and if he walks towards me, I run unto him."

Also, Allaah the Almighty has said: “O son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive you. O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great as its.”
Yasmin
Yasmin

Back to top Go down

Post by ZaidGuy Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:02 am

I really love that last paraghaph.
It gives people hope especially if you think your not much of a rightous person because of some sins you might of commited.
Jazakullah khair for that sis
ZaidGuy
ZaidGuy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum