LTUIS Forum
Salamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,
Welcome to La Trobe University Islamic Society Forum.

If you are not a member, please take the time to register.
Alternatively if you are already a member please sign in below,

Enjoy your stay,

Salamu Alaikum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

LTUIS Forum
Salamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,
Welcome to La Trobe University Islamic Society Forum.

If you are not a member, please take the time to register.
Alternatively if you are already a member please sign in below,

Enjoy your stay,

Salamu Alaikum
LTUIS Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sayings of the Salaf

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sayings of the Salaf - Page 2 Empty Re: Sayings of the Salaf

Post by Yasmin Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:01 pm

True Repentance

O Belivers! Repent to Allâh truly and sincerely [Al-Tahrîm (66): 8]

In explanation of this verse, Al-Tabarî reports the following narrations in his Tafsîr:

He reports that ‘Umar b. Al-Khattâb – Allâh be pleased with him – was asked about true repentance. He replied, “It is that a man repents from an evil deed, and never does it again.” He also reports that ‘Umar said, “It is that you repent from the sin and never do it again, or never intend to do it again.”

Similarly, he reports from ‘Abdullâh (Ibn ‘Abbâs) – Allâh be pleased with him – that he said, “A person repents, and then never goes back to the sin.”, and “It means that a person never returns to the sin from which he repented.”

Mujâhid is quoted as saying, “They seek Allâh’s forgiveness and then never go back to sin.”

Qatâdah is quoted as saying, “It is the true and sincere repentance.”

Al-Tabarî, Tafsîr Al-Tabarî, in the commentary on Sûrah Al-Tahrîm
Yasmin
Yasmin

Number of posts : 812
Registration date : 2008-03-26

http://www.sayingsofthesalaf.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Yasmin Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:04 pm

Won’t you collect your Share?

Abû Hurayrah – Allâh be pleased with him – once passed by the market in Medinah. He stopped at the market and said, “O people of the market, how incapable you are!” They said, “And how is that Abû Hurayrah?” He replied, “Over there the inheritance of Allâh’s Messegner – Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him – is being distributed and you are here! Won’t you go and take your share?” “Where is it?” they asked. He replied, “In the Masjid.” So they hurried to the Masjid and Abû Hurayrah waited for them until they returned. When they came back, he said, “What’s the matter?” They replied, “Abû Hurayrah! We went to the Masjid but we didn’t see anything being distributed.” Abû Hurayrah asked them, “And you didn’t see anyone in the Masjid?” They replied, “Indeed we did; we saw people praying, others reciting Qur`ân and others studying the regulations of halâl and harâm.” So Abû Hurayrah said, “Woe to you! That is the inheritance of Muhammad – Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him.”

Al-Hâfidh Al-Mundhirî said in Al-Targhîb wa Al-Tarhîb, “Reported by Al-Tabarâni in Al-Awsat with a hasan chain of narrators.” Also graded hasan by Shaykh Al-Albânî. See his Sahîh Al-Targhîb wa Al-Tarhîb Vol. 1 p19.
Yasmin
Yasmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yasmin Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:46 am

Risking Your Religion Through Argumentation

Ma’n b. ‘Îsâ reports

Mâlik b. Anas was once returning from the mosque, leaning on my arm, when a man called Abû Al-Juwayrîyah who was accused of Al-Irjâ` caught up with him. He said. “O Abû ‘Abdullâh, listen to something I have to say and debate with me and let me tell you my opinion.” [Imâm] Mâlik said, “And what if you overcome me?” The man replied, “If I defeat you, you follow me.” Mâlik asked, “And what if another man comes and defeats us?” He replied, “Then we follow him.” To this, Mâlik – Allâh’s mecy be upon him – said, “O servant of Allâh, Allâh sent Muhammad - Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him – with a single religion, but I see you moving from religion to religion. ‘Umar b. ‘Abd Al-‘Azîz said, ‘Whoever makes his religion the object of argumentation will frequently change it.’”
Al-Âjurrî, Ktâb Al-Sharî’ah Vol.1 p128.
Yasmin
Yasmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yasmin Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:47 am

Argumentation vs Action

It is reported that Ma’rûf Al-Karkhî – Allâh have mercy on him – said:

When Allâh chooses good for a person He opens the door to action for him, and closes the door to argumentation; and when Allâh chooses evil for a person he opens the door of argumentation and closes the door to action.

Al-Khatîb Al-Baghdâdî, Iqtdâ Al-‘Ilm Al-‘Amal, article 123.
Yasmin
Yasmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yasmin Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:49 am

The Call of Belal and the Tears of Al-Sham

It is reported that Bilâl – Allâh be pleased with him – never used to call the adhân for anyone after the death of Allâh’s Messenger – Allâh’s peace and blessing be upon him. He wanted to go for al-jihâd but Abû Bakr didn’t want him to go. So Bilâl said, “If you freed me [when I was a slave] for Allâh’s pleasure, then let me go.” So he went to Al-Shâm. When ‘Umar arrived in Al-Jâbiyah [during his Caliphate], the Muslims requested him to ask Bilâl to do the adhân for them, so ‘Umar asked him. He called the adhân one day, and never were as many people heard crying as on that day, as they remembered the Prophet – Allâh’s peace and blessing be upon him.

It is said that the adhân of the people of Al-Shâm was taken from this adhân.

Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ`, in his biography of Bilâl b. Abî Rabâh.
Yasmin
Yasmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yasmin Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:44 pm

Which Life to Pursue?

It is reported that Al-Hasan Al-Basrî often used to say, “O youth! Seek the hereafter, for we often see people pursuing the hereafter and finding it as well as the dunyâ (worldly wellbeing), but we have never seen anyone pursue the dunyâ and gain the hereafter as well as the dunyâ.”

Al-Bayhaqî, Al-Zuhd Al-Kabîr, article 12.
=============================
A Comfortable Life

It is reported that ‘Umar b. ‘Abd Al-‘Azîz once wrote to Al-Hasan Al-Basrî to get a brief exhortation from him, so Al-Hasan wrote back , “The dunyâ distracts and preoccupies the heart and body, but al-zuhd (asceticism, not giving importance to worldly things) gives rest to the heart and body. Verily, Allâh will ask us about the halâl things we enjoyed, so what about the harâm!”

Al-Bayhaqî, Al-Zuhd Al-Kabîr, article 26.
=============================
The Sunnah is Wisdom

Our Lord! Send amongst them a Messenger of their own, who shall recite unto them Your verses and instruct them in the Book (this Qur`ân) and Al-Hikmah (wisdom) and sanctify them. Verily! You are the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.” [Al-Baqarah 2:129]

And remember (O members of the Prophet’s family) that which is recited in your houses of the Verses of Allâh and Al­-Hikmah. [Al-Ahzab 33:34]

It is reported that Al-Hasan Al-Basrî – Allâh have mercy on him said, “Al-Kitâb is the Qur`ân, and Al-Hikmah is the Sunnah.”

It is also reported that Qatâdah – Allâh have mercy on him said, “And [he will] teach them The Book and Al-Hikmah, i.e. the Sunnah.”

Al-Lâlakâ`î, Sharh Usûl I’tiqâd Ahl Al-Sunnah wa Al-Jamâ’ah Vol.1 p86, 87; Ibn Battah, Al-Ibânah Al-Kubrâ Vol.1 p98; and Al-Tabarî in his Tafsîr.

Shaykh Al-Islâm Ibn Taymîyah said (Majmû’ Al-Fatâwâ Vol.3 p366), “A number of the Salaf said that Al-Hikmah refers to the Sunnah, because that which was recited in the houses of [the Prophet’s] wives – Allâh be pleased with them - apart from the Qur`ân was his Sunnah – Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him.”
Yasmin
Yasmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yasmin Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:46 pm

Learn Arabic, Speak Arabic

One of the reported instructions ‘Umar wrote to Abû Mûsâ Al-Ash’arî and those under his governance during the former’s Caliphate was, “Seek knowledge and understanding of (fiqh) the Sunnah and seek knowledge and understanding of Arabic.”

Ibn Abî Shaybah, Al-Musannaf Vol.6 p126.

It is reported that he said, “Learn Arabic, for it strengthens the intelligence and increases one’s noble conduct (al-murû`ah).”

Al-Bayhaqî, Shu’ab Al-Îmân Vol.4 p187.

It is also reported that he said, “Do not learn the language of the non-Arabs, and do not enter upon them in their churches on their festivals, for indeed wrath descends upon them.”

‘Abd Al-Razzâq Al-San’ânî, Al-Musannaf Vol.1 p411.

It is also reported that he was once circumambulating the Ka’bah when he heard two men speaking in a language other than Arabic behind him. He turned to them and said, “Find some way to learn Arabic.”

‘Abd Al-Razzâq Al-San’ânî, Al-Musannaf Vol.5 p496.

It is reported that Ubay b. Ka’b – Allâh be pleased with him – said, “Learn Arabic just as you learn to memorize the Qurân.”

Ibn Abî Shaybah, Al-Musannaf Vol.7 p150.

It is reported that Ibn ‘Umar – Allâh be pleased with them – used to hit his children for making language errors.

Tahdhîb Al-Tahdhîb Vol.9 p292.

It is reported that Shu’bah – Allâh have mercy on him – said, “Learn Arabic, for it increases the intelligence.”

Tahdhîb Al-Tahdhîb Vol.4 p303.

It is reported that ‘Attâ b. Abî Rabâh – Allâh have mercy on him – said, “I wish I were fluent in Arabic,” when he was ninety years old.

Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ`, in his biography of ‘Attâ b. Abî Rabâh.

It is reported that Ibn Shubrumah – Allâh have mercy on him – said, “Men have never worn a garment more beautiful than Arabic.”

Al-Bayhaqî, Shu’ab Al-Îmân Vol.4 p197.
Yasmin
Yasmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2