LTUIS Forum
Salamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,
Welcome to La Trobe University Islamic Society Forum.

If you are not a member, please take the time to register.
Alternatively if you are already a member please sign in below,

Enjoy your stay,

Salamu Alaikum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

LTUIS Forum
Salamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,
Welcome to La Trobe University Islamic Society Forum.

If you are not a member, please take the time to register.
Alternatively if you are already a member please sign in below,

Enjoy your stay,

Salamu Alaikum
LTUIS Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MUSIC!!!

4 posters

Go down

MUSIC!!!  Empty MUSIC!!!

Post by Hassuni Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:57 pm

Salam Alaikum,

IS MUSIC HALAL OR HARAM?
There are many muslims who use musical instruments to explain their feeling towards Islam, Allah, Prophet PBUH, Brotherhood and sonon.
Many Muslims are confused with what to follow. Some of us we make music halal so we could listen to it and others think music is halal if you sing about islam.

The real question is that " Dow we have to go for or against music".

affraid Question pale Sad What a Face confused

Hassuni

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2009-04-10

Back to top Go down

MUSIC!!!  Empty Re: MUSIC!!!

Post by ibrahim Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:09 am

wa'laikum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatahu

Good question hassen, lets see what islamqa says. The following is in regards to non-nasheeds.

“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…” [Luqmaan 31:6]

The scholar of the ummah, Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: this means singing. Mujaahid (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this means playing the drum (tabl). (Tafseer al-Tabari, 21/40).

Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this aayah was revealed concerning singing and musical instruments (lit. woodwind instruments). (Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/451).

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91).

For nasheeds:

There are conditions to which attention must be paid with regard to this matter:

Not using forbidden musical instruments in nasheed.

Not doing it too much or making it the focus of the Muslim’s mind, occupying all his time, or neglecting obligatory duties because of it.

Nasheed should not be recited by women (in gatherings where men participate), or include haraam or obscene speech.

They should not resemble the tunes of the people of immorality and promiscuity.

They should be free of vocal effects that produce sounds like those of musical instruments.

They should not have moving tunes which make the listener feel “high” as happens to those who listen to songs. This is the case with many of the nasheeds which appear nowadays, so that the listeners no longer pay any attention to the good meaning of the words, because they are so entranced by the tunes. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

ibrahim

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2009-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by ZaidGuy Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Assalamu alaikum
Islam q and a seems to have a few mistakes.....
First the translation of surat luqman ayat 6 is different to what it says. In the translation it says frivolous discourse to lead astray from allah's path without knowlegde. That basically means idol talk or gossiping, not music or singing.

Anyway some of the other things sound like more of their opinions, instead of islamic rulings?
ZaidGuy
ZaidGuy

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Yasmin Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:40 am

wa 'alaykumassalam wa rahmatullah Zaid,

Actually, the scholars of tafsir have translated the ayah to mean as such and amongst these scholars is Ibn Abbaas (may Allah be pleased with him).. he is one of the companions of the Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam and also his cousin. Anyway, dear brother, the ruling re: music being haraam has nothing to do with Islamq&a's opinions. All of the four imams (i.e. imaam shafi'i, imam ahmad, imam malik and imam abu hanifa) even agreed on it being haraam and so they are just spreading this true message.

Also, you will see in their fatwa that the interpretation of the ayah from surat luqman is actually from the companions or the salaf and not from the opinions of the mashayekh on Islamq&a.
Yasmin
Yasmin

Number of posts : 812
Registration date : 2008-03-26

http://www.sayingsofthesalaf.net

Back to top Go down

Post by ZaidGuy Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:27 am

Fair enough that makes sense but some of the other points towards the end aren't clear enough to make people understand, what the true message is. Maybe if you could clarify it.

For example

For nasheeds:
They should not have moving tunes which make the listener feel “high” as happens to those who listen to songs. This is the case with many of the nasheeds which appear nowadays, so that the listeners no longer pay any attention to the good meaning of the words, because they are so entranced by the tunes. And Allaah is the Source of strength..

All songs make people feel something....but tunes is another issue Twisted Evil People can't imitate instruments with there voice but in this passage it's saying, it's ok, if you don't make people feel high?

Anyway the argument seems abit vague and many others arguments like that.(i've read online)
I know where i stand in this situation but it's not a satisfying answer and maybe many other people feel the same way Question
ZaidGuy
ZaidGuy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hassuni Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:36 pm

Salam Alaikum Zaid ,

You are right on there is no ayat that mention musical instrument in quran. Infact if you go back to what yasmeen saiy about ibn Abbas. Ibn Abbas was one of the sahabi who was very close to the prophet as far as I know and he learned from the prophet directly. Ibn Abbas translated the meaning of LAhwul Hadith (urat luqman ayat 6) as music. The other evidence is HADITH of the prophet which is mentioned about musical instruements: Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari: that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of Musical instruments, as lawful.

If you can not find evidence in Quran then you have to look in sunnah and Ahadith. If you can not find evidence in Quran and sunnah, then search in the four Immams books and true scholars .

The prophet (SAW) warned the ummah from misleading scholars. So be aware of them. May Allah make clear for you.

salam
Smile Smile

Hassuni

Back to top Go down

Post by Hassuni Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:44 pm

Hey Zaid I forgot to say You and the sisters are giving life to the forum. LTUIS forum Renaissance! IBBY you too Basketball

Hassuni

Back to top Go down

Post by ZaidGuy Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:21 am

Wa salam hassuni
Thanks for the advice. It was helpful :-)
I didn't know the prophet said that some scholars will mislead people.
It' sooo true.
ZaidGuy
ZaidGuy

Back to top Go down

Post by Yasmin Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:01 am

Dear brother,

The shaykh (may Allah preserve him) is referring to tunes such as beat boxing and other type of sounds that can make the listener divert from actually paying attention to the words of the nasheed. I can understand what he means. He is saying they should not have tunes that will make the listener 'feel high' as in too distracted to listen to the words. If you listen to some music, it makes the listener want to dance and not pay attention to the words, this could be a similar thing. The shaykh is just clarifying to munsheeds (and believers in general) to becareful if they were to produce a nasheed, so it doesn't come out like Music and mislead the believers and earn themselves bad deeds.

Anyway, it is best to always take caution as Muslims and stay away from doubtful matters. The prohibition of Music is very clear in this religion.

Also, let us please respect the scholars on Islamq&a. I'm not insinuating that anyone is speaking ill of a shaykh but it is important that we show them respect. They are upon the correct aqeedah and manhaj and they have done a lot for the Muslim Ummah. The flesh of the scholars are poisonous, so it is best to not say ill words about them.

Jazaak'Allaah khayr,
wassalam
Yasmin
Yasmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hassuni Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:27 am

Salam Alikum,
when I said the prophet warned about misleading. I dont mean the scholars of islamq&a. Alhamdulillah we have true scholars with the right menhaj. I was saying in general. we have to be careful when listening to some scholars as they could have wrong understanding. as an example i was searching for evidences (from quran and/or sunnah) and i came up to a youtube a sheik says music is allowed in islam. The evidence he gave was very persuasive. he was mentioned stories about people going from ethiopia (habasha (old name abysiniya)) to medinah for the celebration of the messenger of Allah peace be upon him. what he said was that they use to play with musical instruements and the prophet (peace be upon him) did not stop them and that meanst the messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) agreed. and he also mentioned other stories about the Ansar women singing with Aisha (RA). However, The shikh ( scholar) did not mension anything about "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of Musical instruments, as lawful".

I am not saying Music is harram or do not listen to scholars. But what I mean is try to follow the right scholras. However, we have to respect our scholars and not backbiting them.

May Allah make us to hold fast on Quran and Sunnah

Jazakumullahu Khair

salam

Hassuni

Back to top Go down

Post by ZaidGuy Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:10 am

I don't know the "islam Q and A people" to back bite them but alot of these days, shiekhs tend to say what ever they want and justify it with an islamic ruling or their own opinions(i'm sure we know this happens sometimes)

So, you have to research things for yourself.....or else you'll be blind following Exclamation
ZaidGuy
ZaidGuy

Back to top Go down

Post by Yasmin Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:56 am

Ameen.

Yes, we must not blind follow. But the issue of musical instruments is not about blind following. Alhamdulillaah, the evidences are clear. The best of generations (i.e. companions, tabi'een etc) have stated clear evidences and statements which they understood from the ayat of Allaah and ahadeeth of the prophet sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam which spoke about the prohibition of musical instruments.

Islam is a very easy religion and the rulings within this religion are clear. It is only when people start to create their own opinions to suit their own desires or others that people start to get confused or go astray. This is not the case with the Islamq&a fatwa as they have provided clear evidence from the Qur'aan wa Sunnah to explain the rulings regarding how nasheeds should be.

Anyway, I've said enough regarding this topic. May Allaah guide us to do that which is most pleasing to Him and distance us from the haraam.
Yasmin
Yasmin

Back to top Go down

Post by ibrahim Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:13 am

asalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatahu

its really an interesting topic, and im really surprised how it is constantly being discussed by muslims worldover

i presume some of the causes would be
1. us muslims picking up habits of the kuffar while we live with them
2. these corrupt leaders giving all these rights to non muslim corporations to operate in the muslim world, we see cable tv everywhere in the muslim world, all for the bad reasons
3. our sufi brothers gaining prominence

the evidence from the salaful salah is very clear upon this issue, indeed hearts find true satisfaction in the rememberance of Allah, verily the Words of Allah are a healing for those that what to acquire peace

in saying that there are bigger things we should be thinking about other than music

your brother

ibrahim hassan yusuf

ibrahim

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2009-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down